Forever Fishing

For as long as I can remember, my dad goes fishing on Sunday mornings from June through November. As a child, I would look forward to my dad returning with a big smile on his face from a successful and entertaining trip. No one in our family really eats fish, and he is more about "catch and release," so very rarely did he come home with any trophies of his day's work. 
"Dad! Did you catch any big ones?" my sister and I would ask.
He would usually reply, "Only a few small ones."
On rare occasions, he has a great story about the biggest catch of the day, even if it wasn't his. He loves the sport so much that he loses track of time and finds himself out on the water for hours and hours. He has bestowed his love of fishing upon my sister and me throughout the years. Although we are not inclined to wake up at 5:00 am to fish on a chilly November morning, we do appreciate the time spent on summer days casting lines into the bay. When my dad is asked what he will do once he retires, he always responds the same way: "I'll be out on the boat fishing, and taking vacations with mom, bringing my fishing pole along."

Vocabulary:
entertaining - amusing and enjoyable
"Catch and release" - catching fish and letting them go rather than keeping them to cook
trophies - an object given as a prize to show a win
occasions - a special event
bestowed - to give as a gift
inclined - wanting to do something
appreciate - to admire or value

Skill: Quotations

Comments

  1. Nice story about your dad and fishing!

    Again, the vocab exercise is missing, and maybe you could introduce each grammar skill with a sentence explaining it briefly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Dinner Dilemma

Tryout Testimonies